Easter Safety For Pets

Easter is a fun celebration! Staying aware of what is around your pet will ensure the festivities of the day remain safe and enjoyable for everyone.

We have outlined some potential pet risks for you to be aware of.


Many people are aware of the toxicity of chocolate to dogs and take measure to reduce the possibility of ingestion. However, some dogs are good at getting what they want, regardless of the safety precautions you may have taken

Our handy Chocolate Toxicity Calculator will let you know at a glance if your pet is in more serious danger of just an upset tummy and loose stools.

This handy chart lets you know if you dog may have eaten a toxic amount of the sweet treat, what it is about chocolate that is toxic to pets, and what symptoms to watch for.


Xylitol is a sugar substitute in many "sugar-free" products. Gum, candy, and a whole bunch of other things you may not think about like medication, beauty, and dental products.

Be aware that it is sometimes listed as Birch Sugar. Xylitol poisoning has a rapid onset and can be a very serious condition where the blood sugar is rapidly lowered, can lead to seizure, vomiting, liver failure, and even death. 


It goes without saying, but here it is. Dogs can at the very least cut their mouth, tongue, esophagus, and possibly the intestines or stomach when chewing up these colorful eggs. If they swallow it intact, it can lead to a bowel obstruction. Many people fill eggs with coins. Pennies are particularly harmful when swallowed and can cause severe anemia and kidney damage.


Not only a choking hazard, this can also cause an obstruction and bunch up or cut the lining of the intestines. 


No, just don't do it. We add many spices, fats and other ingredients to make food more flavorful.  Pets are not used to this and it may give them a bad case of gastroenteritis (bad upset tummy ache or diarrhea) or pancreatitis . This can lead to days of hospitalization, and can be fatal in severe cases. Keep pets  from eating ham/ham bone, onions, grapes, currants, macadamia nuts , and corn on the cob.  Each have their own dietary hazards and medical consequences. See our Halloween blog for more in-depth information on foods not to share.


Easter Lilies, all parts of the plant, can be toxic to your cat. Onset of symptoms are quick and can range from drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Depending on what is ingested, it can cause severe kidney damage or death. It is best not to bring any type of lily into a household with cats, most are toxic. 

Be sure you know which plants are pet friendly and which are best to not have.

Make sure your pet has a quiet place to get away from all the activity. Pets can need a short "time out" from all the activity if it is a lengthy celebration.

Be sure to have your veterinarian or pet poison control information posted in the event of a medical emergency.

Have a safe and fun Easter Holiday!


The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A consultation fee may apply.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published